Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Virtues of Adult Ed

I have anywhere from 1-3 years to figure this one out, but I'm still not entirely sure what I'll do as a full-time civilian career when I transition over from active duty to the Guard.

One idea that's really growing on me, though, is Adult Education -- ESL, GED, other skills, community college, junior college, etc. For the same reasons that drew me into Education after college, I'm still interested in pursuing some type of career in the field. But at the same time, I'm put off by a lot of the administrative hoopla that teachers are forced to go through and not exactly thrilled by the percentage of time teachers have to spend on disciplining students as opposed to actually teaching them.

Adult Ed might be a great way to go -- the students are more mature, they're there voluntarily, and the positive effects of the work might be even more readily apparent.

I'm going to keep this idea on the backburner. It would be a great fit with freelance writing, which I would love to get into but wouldn't exactly pay the bills, at least at first.

1 comment:

KD said...

I have a friend who is teaching at a community college and writing a book. It seems pretty idyllic.