Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The Amazing 12-Day Workweek

Something I definitely didn't *appreciate* in any real sense, though I'd like to think I *got* the idea in an abstract way, is that reservists and Guardsmen who work full-time and drill on the weekends get a frequently-recurring "12-day workweek," which is basically what's going to happen anytime a drill weekend is sandwiched between two regular weeks of work.

Because I was only working intermittently earlier this year, this never really sunk in for me until now -- just before I was all set to begin working at the census, lo and behold, my unit called with a proposition -- that I come on ADOS orders (Active Duty for Operational Support) on an indefinite basis (hopefully all the way until the mobilization, but the string could potentially be cut on a whim at any time).

So anyway, on months like this where there are multiple drills, plus the Monday through Friday business in Reading, it basically means a couple of these 12-day weeks. As a result, I've definitely quieted down a bit in cyberspace. Blogging has been far and away my favorite hobby over the last couple years, so thanks as always for reading, and in advance for your patience as the optempo slows down a bit.

But that's certainly not a complaint.

The alarm clock buzzing every day now at 0500 reminds me of Winston Churchill's famous quote about democracy -- you know the one, how it's a terrible form of government, but the least terrible form he knows (or something like that).

An alarm clock ripping you out of bed prematurely (and I'll use the medical definition there...sooner than you would've liked!) may be a terrible thing, as may be in the interchange between 128 and Rte. 3, but the only thing WORSE than an early wake-up and some overaggressive motorists on the way home would be NOT having the alarm go off, and not tangling it up with some jerkies in the merger lane.

If I've gotten nothing else out of the past couple months, it's what will hopefully be a lifelong appreciation for what the previous paragraph can really mean.

1 comment:

C R Krieger said...

I know that feeling.  I am enjoying working on the proposal with Lockheed Martin down in King of Prussia.  However, being away from home for 12 days has its drawbacks.

But, having a pay check is good and an outfit getting ready to deploy needs some full time hands to make sure everything is ship shape.  And, your doing it 12 days a week means that some chap is able to spend more time with his or her family before deployment.

Cooperation.  When I used to pull alert for 24 hours at a shot the bachelors did Christmas and the married guys did New Years.

Regards  —  Cliff