Thursday, August 2, 2012

Operator Error

Sometimes, the signage really is unclear or confusing.

Sometimes, you can get "tractor beamed" onto an off-ramp that you never wanted to be on, or into a turn lane that you didn't see coming.  Anytime I head east on 110 coming across Plain St., for instance, I brace myself for the likelihood that someone who was in the turn lane was really trying to go straight.  My desire to avoid an accident trumps my desire to be *right* each time, and I gladly yield out of respect not for the other driver, but for that law of physics from senior year about multiple objects not being able to occupy the same space.  

Sometimes, though, traffic mishaps just come down to simple operator error.  Double yellow lines should be a good indicator, especially when a bunch of cars are headed one way on the right side, and then there are a bunch of other ones stopped about to try and go the other way (the light changed in the time it took me to grab my phone and snap this).

Thankfully, this guy banged a left onto Market and headed in, well, the right direction.  

3 comments:

C R Krieger said...

Don't you have the smallest twitch and wish you were driving a "beater" pickup with a big wooden board as a bumper, so you could push the offender out of the way, especially when your light has turned green and they are still making left turns in front of you.

If not, you are a better man than I am, Gunga Din.

Regards  —  Cliff

JoeS said...

Is this a precursor to what we might expect when Jeff Speck's traffic flow plan gets implemented in the City?

C R Krieger said...

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slittng throats.

Ace of Spades ripped that off for his Masthead.

H L Mencken